Paupiettes of Venison
- 8 thin slices of venison cut from either the round or the loin (should weigh 1 ounce each)
- 1/8 pound of mushrooms
- 1 egg
- 2 small onions, finely chopped
- 1/4 pound bacon, cut into small pieces
- 1 tablespoon
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 & 1/2 teaspoons of finely chopped lemon peel
- 1 tablespoon of bread crumbs
- Bacon drippings
- Salt and pepper
- One teaspoon of thyme
- A handful of fresh parsley, minced
Fry the onions, mushrooms and bacon in a little dripping. Mix in the lemon peel, bread crumbs, parsley and seasoning, and a beaten egg.
Flatten out each piece of venison. Season with pepper, salt and thyme. On each slice, lay a bit of the stuffing, roll up the meat and secure with a toothpick or tie with string.
Roll them in flour and brown them in bacon drippings. Add water, just to cover, and simmer very slowly for 10 minutes. Crush the garlic and add this and the mustard to the sauce. Cook for another 30 minutes at a slow simmer. The sauce should be creamy.
Serve with rice or mashed potatoes.
*** Recipe Courtesy Of ***